Four tiny feet, broken off at the ankles, in raised bed, with plant and pebbles. N Van Houten ave.
You may recognized “Van Houten” as the surname of The Simpsons’ Milhouse. No idea as of this sentence whether there’s a direct connection there, but then I have no idea who the street is named after.
Field trip to Google, everybody.
- safe to presume the street was not named after Manson family-member Leslie Van Houten;
- sounds like Milhouse wasn’t either, according to wikipedia; nor was he named after the street, with the Portland Tribune reporting Groening says it’s a coincidence (though he did get his first name from Nixon, which seems like an easy guess in hindsight);
- maybe it’s named after the Dutch chocolatiers? Though who knows why that would be. Probably not, then.
- it’s just well goddam impossible to google sanely for the history of a name of a street in Portland because you get tons of results for addresses on that street. If anyone knows a Portland civic infrastructure historian, maybe pass this on to them.
- thesquarefoot posted this